Thursday, December 11, 2008

I've been inclined to believe it never would

A few months ago I had to go to Chicago for training. They took us out to The Brauhaus-- a German bar/restaurant in Lincoln Square. I smuggled in my sister who lived there at the time. It was dim and packed. We sat elbow to elbow with anyone in near radius. We ate fish that tasted like flour, the potatoes like vinegar. We had the babies with who sat in highchairs and gnawed on bread sticks. We watched a table of college boys pass around a tall glass boot filled with beer, indulging as it was in their possession. The "world famous brauhaus trio" played the accordion and we went to the dance floor and danced with the babies... twirling them around as they laughed. In the middle of dessert the BHT.. as I like to call them.. started playing the neil diamond classic "sweet caroline"... and on not any more of a cue then if we would have been on a movie set... which is exactly what it felt like sans the cameras, movie stars and plot.. the entire bar started singing along. As we belted out "good times never seemed so good" I truly meant it.

1 comment:

Brambleberry said...

What a wonderful song to have in my head! And such a fun memory!