Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just workin' through this mom thing as I go.

I always intended on just letting Z potty train on his own. I think that's the best method.

But yesterday I thought... "okay. you are a smart boy. ALL of your friends are in their superhero undies. lets just give this a whirl and see what happens."

So I started the morning having him put on his new little undies that have been folded up in his drawer for months. At first he threw a tantrum. I calmed him down. Told him he was a big boy. I listed all of his friends that are now in undies. "Isaac using the potty. Lauren uses the potty. Zeke uses the potty. Damien uses the potty. Rory uses the potty..." And gave him a pep talk. Told him how proud I was of him. And he changed.. just like that.. he got excited.. and listed all of his friends and how they use the potty.

I asked him constantly if he had to use the potty (something I really didn't want to do.. see my initial goal above) but he always said "no". The only time he wanted to was before nap of course.. so that he could stall. He went through SEVEN pairs of pants. He never once initiated going. Advocates of this method said that that's normal... that after a few days they get it. So I'm going to try for a few more days and hope he catches on like everyone claims. I would LOVE to not have to buy diapers for two.

We'll see...

No comments: